Learning at ASW
We provide a challenging, student-centered, internationally minded education, with the English language as our primary language of instruction. Children, across all grade levels, are encouraged and supported to become independent learners and leaders.
ASW uses the IBO's (International Baccalaureate Organisation) three core programs: the PYP (PreK-Grade 5), the MYP (Grades 6-10) and the IB DP (Grades 11 & 12). These programmes develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people, who are motivated to succeed.
The IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) nurtures and develops young students as caring, active participants in a lifelong journey of learning. Students begin the PYP in PreK (age 3) and continue through to Grade 5 (age 11).
Grade 11 & 12
The IB Diploma Programme (DP) aims to develop students who have excellent breadth and depth of knowledge, and who flourish physically, intellectually, emotionally, and ethically. Students in Grades 11 and 12 can choose to take the IB DP.
Knowledge, skills, and understanding, from internationally recognized academic standards, inform what is taught in the PYP and MYP curriculum.
The school-wide adopted academic standards are:
- Common Core State Standards for Mathematics
- Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts
- Australian Science Standards
- AERO Standards for Social Studies
- AERO World Language Standards for additional languages in the elementary school
- Shape America Standards for Physical Education and Health
Learning is growth from where you were to where you are, and to where you want to go.
At ASW we work together.
- Learners will thrive when they actively listen and engage with others to create or do something they could not have created or done on their own.
At ASW we step forward and make things happen.
- Learners will thrive when they make active choices to pursue areas of study that inspire and challenge them.
- Learners will thrive when they initiate their own learning by being curious to investigate further, identify solutions and act.
- Learners will thrive when they take control of their own learning by managing what they learn, and designing how they want to do it.
At ASW we put the same into life as we put into school.
- Learners will thrive when learning and experiences at school, home and beyond are connected, inspiring and engaging.
- Learners will thrive when they are aware of and reflect on how learning and life go hand-in-hand.
At ASW we make the whole world our classroom.
- Learners will thrive when they have the skills to inquire and make meaningful connections between what they experience in school and the world around them.
- Learners will thrive when they transfer what they know into the unknown.
At ASW we bounce back when things don’t go our way.
- Learners will thrive when they challenge themselves to take risks, reflect on experiences and show resilience.