Position: EAL Teacher
Division: Elementary School
Reports to: EAL Director
Contract: full-time, fixed term (substitute position, until June 2019)
The main purpose of an EAL teacher’s role is to provide an education reflecting the ASW mission and core values. They use the knowledge, skills, and understanding from internationally recognized academic standards to inform the planning and implementation of a curriculum that is locally and globally relevant, engaging, significant, and challenging. An EAL teacher supports and collaborates with teachers, and teaching assistants in their efforts to advance the development of students. Teachers facilitate learning and assessment that is learner centered and developmentally appropriate as aligned with the IB Standards and Practices.
Basic Qualifications and Requirements:
- Teaching certification from an accredited institution and minimum two years of experience in the field of ESL / ESOL / EAL / ELL.
- Preferred knowledge and experience in one of the following IB frameworks (PYP, MYP, or DP).
- Visibly supports and embraces the school's mission and core values.
- Demonstrates appropriate planning and preparation.
- Contributes and fosters an atmosphere within the school community that supports lifelong learning for students and colleagues.
- Upholds professional standards of professional dress, punctuality, professional courtesy, and discretion.
- Appropriately carries out specific assignments, and other responsibilities as determined by supervisor.
- Incorporating and supporting the co-teaching models and approaches to teaching and learning recognized in ASW’s teaching and learning policies and procedures.
- Creating opportunities for teamwork and collaboration between teachers, and teaching assistants.
- Incorporating effective scaffolds and accommodations that promotes an inclusive learning environment.
- Incorporating coaching strategies when working with teachers.
- Tracking and recording EAL students English language progression.
- Measuring student achievement against WIDA standards.
- Providing professional development to faculty and staff that fosters greater inclusive practices for EAL students.